Friday, March 21, 2014

Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Since we never really discussed this summer reading book in depth in class, I have decided to write an end of the year blog on it.  Hands down this was my favorite book I had to read last summer and without a doubt, the best summer reading book I have ever been assigned.  I really enjoyed how the whole book is written.  As the reader, you get to know the characters personally as they grow up through Kathy's memories.  They seem like completely normal children who do normal things and feel and react as normal children.  That's why as I read it, it took me by surprise when I finally discovered why they were different.  The discovery of them being clones and that their ultimate fate was donating their organs was kind of heartbreaking.  You had gotten to know the characters and related to them as human beings, and then you find out that they aren't treated as human beings.  As children, they were all curious why Madam would take their artwork for her gallery.  Later, Kathy finds out that Madam was trying to convince people that these clones also had souls and they were just as human as anyone else.  As the reader, you can relate to Madam's argument because for the majority of the book, you don't know they are clones.  I think this book is written very well, it keeps the reader reading by the mystery and then has the reader finish by feeling sympathy for the characters.  I also think this book is a look into the future and future ethics.  One day, it might be possible to create clones for organ harvesting.  And if that day comes, the world will be faced with the conflict in this book.  Do they have souls?  Should they have basic human rights also?  If they turn out to be anything like the characters in this book; they are able to feel, love, and react, then I believe the answer is yes.  Never Let Me Go was an interesting read that also got me thinking

No comments:

Post a Comment